Teaching in Fiji
Help to build a better world: Teach and Learn in Fiji!
Discover the Yasawas when you travel to Fiji and volunteer to support under-resourced local schools and teachers. Assist with teaching and extra-curricular games and activities, supporting local children's educational and personal development. Enjoy island hopping, hiking, scuba diving, dolphin watching and exploring the local waterfalls and beaches in your free time.
Working with indigenous Fijian communities, we provide the opportunity to become fully immersed in local Fijian culture whilst supporting local children through their education and improving their future prospects.
Here are a few of the program highlights:
- Program durations vary from 2 weeks to 24 weeks.
- Many departure date options
- International volunteer experience
- Accommodation and meals included
Our local partners, the community and local council have specifically requested our assistance with English language teaching, mathematics, sports education and arts.
As local teachers are under-resourced there is an immediate need to provide them with assistance and additional English language resources.
In assisting teachers with lessons, you will help improve the education of disadvantaged Fijian children.
Your typical day
Morning assembly usually marks the beginning of the day followed by a teachers’ meeting to discuss the plan for the day. The rest of the school day will be spent focusing on teaching, organizing and running activities and providing assistance to other teachers.
You will stay in basic dormitory accommodation with a communal kitchen and work area and living space to relax with fellow volunteers. In the evenings the team will gather to eat and share stories, meals are cooked by teams on a rotational basis.
For weekends you will be spoiled for choice in this beautiful exotic location. Snorkeling, scuba diving, hiking and island hopping are just some of your options to explore.
To be eligible for the program:
- To be eligible for the program:
- You must be 18+ years old
- You must be fluent in English
- You must be a Canadian citizen and resident with a Canadian Passport (valid for at least the entire duration of your stay)
- Must have a clean criminal background history
- You will need to apply for a 4 month tourist visa.
- It is recommended that you purchase medical insurance for the entire duration that you are in Fiji (if you would like to purchase through us - we offer a great insurance policy at a low premium)
- Must have full time availability throughout the volunteer contract
After you are accepted into the program, we will send you a Welcome Letter which will outline everything you need before you go.
- Pre-departure support and discounted services
- 24-hour emergency phone
- Airport pick-up (unless otherwise stated)
- Long term experienced staff
- Safe and basic accommodations (usually shared)
- All meals (unless otherwise stated in field manuals)
- Welcome meeting
- Location orientation
- All necessary project training by experienced staff
- All necessary project equipment and materials
- 24-hour in-country support
What’s Not Included:
- Medical and travel insurance
- Visa costs
- Personal kit
- Additional drinks and gratuities
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
Fiji has some of the most amazing scenery and lots of history. Here are some
places to consider visiting while you are there.
Almost everyone who visits Fiji stops by in this bustling multi-cultural town. There are plenty of places to shop, eat, drink as well as festivals and events to attend. Close to Denarau Island and the Mamanucas, Nadi would be the best place to make your base during your trip..
About 10 kilometres from Nadi, Denarau Island is the spot to spoil yourself. The island boasts 8 large resorts, stunning beaches and an 18-hole championship golf course. If you are looking for a holiday retreat and enjoy a little pampering, Denarau Island is definitely the place to be.
This group of islands are a backpackers paradise. Surrounded with beautiful scenery and nature, you won't find any shops, banks or medical services here. Take a break from the everyday by escaping to the Yasawa Islands.
The capital of Fiji, Suva is the largest and most dynamic city in Oceania. This modern city is known for its mix of cultures, colonial era architecture, outdoor activities and vibrant nightlife. You can also enjoy the many parks, gardens and museums located all around the city.
Teaching in Fiji Prices:
| 2017 Prices |
|2 weeks ||CAD 2176 |
|4 weeks || CAD 2651 |
|6 weeks ||CAD 3126 |
|8 weeks || CAD 3601 |
|10 weeks ||CAD 4076 |
|12 weeks ||CAD 4551 |
|16 weeks || CAD 5501 |
|20 weeks || CAD 6451 |
|24 weeks || CAD 7401 |
Dates available for 2017:
- 07 & 21 January
- 04 & 18 February
- 04 & 18 March
- 01, 15 & 29 April
- 13 & 27 May
- 10 & 24 June
- 08 & 22 July
- 05 & 19 August
- 02, 16 & 30 September
- 14 & 28 October
- 11 November