or improve your diving in one of the world's most beautiful tropical
countries and make this incredible underwater environment your new home.
You will join an international team of volunteers on this marine
conservation expedition and be involved in collecting data and research
that can assist the community to conserve their marine resources.
Have fun volunteering! Here are a few of the program highlights:
- Program duration varies from 4 weeks to 12 weeks for Volunteers; 24 weeks for Interns
- Many departure date options
- Accommodations are included
- Weekends off
- International experience
- Orientation when you arrive
Your Typical Day
You will first complete an initial training phase so you can learn to accurately identify locally targeted fish species. Training will involve snorkel and dive points with staff as well as learning benthic coral and invertebrate.
You will get the chance to dive/snorkel at least 1-2 times each day, 5 days a week. You will also be involved in additional projects and activities including training sessions, marine debris surveys and removal and other local and project needs.
Why an Internship?
You will spend your 1st half of the internship on base, learning identification techniques and monitoring the marine environment. During the 2nd half, if successful, you will be placed in a dive center where you will undertake your Dive Master course while helping the center with their day-to-day operations.
After a successful internship, qualifying candidates may be given the opportunity to work for one of our partner organisations in Fiji, or in other countries around the world where our partners operate.
To be eligible for the program:
- You must be 18+ years old
- You must be fluent in English
- You must be a Canadian citizen and resident with a Canadian Passport (valid for at least the entire duration of your stay)
- Must have a clean criminal background history
will need to apply for a 4 month tourist visa.
is recommended that you purchase medical insurance for the entire
duration that you are in Fiji (if you would like to purchase through us -
we offer a great insurance policy at a low premium)
- Must have full time availability throughout the volunteer contract
After you are accepted into the program, we will send you a Welcome Letter which will outline everything you need before you go.
- Pre-departure support and discounted services
- 24-hour emergency phone number
- Airport pick-up (unless otherwise stated)
- Arrival orientation
- Long term experienced staff
- Safe and basic accommodations (usually shared)
- All meals (unless otherwise stated in field manuals)
- Welcome meeting
- Location orientation
- All necessary project training by experienced staff
- All necessary project equipment and materials
- 24-hour in country support
- Transfer to base location
- PADI Open Water (for 8 and 12 week volunteers) and Advanced Open Water
- PADI Coral Reef Research Diver Distinctive Specialty
- First aid and CPR training and certification
- Coral reef ecology
- Community work workshop
- Use of O2 equipment workshop
- Diving compressor training workshop
Same as the Volunteer Program, plus:
- Final evaluation
- Certification and summary of training and experience received
- Weekly evaluation with your mentor
- PADI Rescue Diver and PADI Dive Master certifications (not including PADI professional fees)
- Confidential professional reference
- PADI Coral Reef Research Diver Distinctive Speciality
- PADI Advanced Open Water
- Transfer to base location
- Teamwork and leadership experience
- Leading biological surveys course
- Work placement (if successful on training period)
What’s Not Included:
- Air fare
- Medical and travel insurance
- Visa costs
- Personal equipment
- Personal expenses
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Extra local excursions
- PADI Open Water (Internship)
- Food during Work Placement (Internship)
Fiji has some of the most amazing scenery and lots of history. Here are some
places to consider visiting while you are there.
everyone who visits Fiji stops by in this bustling multi-cultural town.
There are plenty of places to shop, eat, drink as well as festivals and
events to attend. Close to Denarau Island and the Mamanucas, Nadi would
be the best place to make your base during your trip.
About 10 kilometres from Nadi, Denarau Island is the
spot to spoil yourself. The island boasts 8 large resorts, stunning
beaches and an 18-hole championship golf course. If you are looking for a
holiday retreat and enjoy a little pampering, Denarau Island is
definitely the place to be.
of islands are a backpackers paradise. Surrounded with beautiful scenery
and nature, you won't find any shops, banks or medical services here.
Take a break from the everyday by escaping to the Yasawa Islands.
capital of Fiji, Suva is the largest and most dynamic city in Oceania.
This modern city is known for its mix of cultures, colonial era
architecture, outdoor activities and vibrant nightlife. You can also
enjoy the many parks, gardens and museums located all around the city.
Fiji Diving Program Prices:
| 2016/2017 Prices |
|4 weeks || CAD 3800 |
|8 weeks || CAD 5510 |
|12 weeks || CAD 7220 |
|24 weeks (Internship) || CAD 10925 |
Dates available for 2016:
- 09 January
- 06 February
- 05 March
- 02 & 30 April
- 28 May
- 25 June
- 23 July (only for 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20 weeks)
- 20 August (only for 4, 8, 12, and 16 weeks)
- 17 September (only for 4, 8, and 12 weeks)
- 15 October (only for 4 and 8 weeks)
- 12 November (only for 4 weeks)
Dates available for 2017:
- 07 January
- 04 February (only for 4, 8 and 12 weeks)
- 04 March (only for 4, 8 and 12 weeks)
- 01 April
- 29 April (only for 4, 8 and 12 weeks)
- 27 May (only for 4, 8 and 12 weeks)
- 24 June
- 22 July (only for 4, 8 and 12 weeks)
- 19 August (only for 4, 8 and 12 weeks)
- 16 September
- 14 October (only for 4, 8 and 12 weeks)
- 11 November (only for 4, 8 and 12 weeks)
Note: The 4-week duration is only open for divers already qualified to PADI Open Water Diver or equivalent. For non divers wishing to attend for 4-weeks, we can recommend local dive centres that will help you qualify before your intended start date.