Work & Travel Abroad

United Kingdom

Find a job before you travel!

If you choose the UK Pup Platinum Program we will place you in the UK with a full-time, live-in pub job before you leave Canada. With a broad network of employers UK wide, we can arrange your UK arrival year-round!  From city pubs, to rural and countryside locations, to coastal pubs - with more than 600 employers in our network, we've got something for everyone!

We will save you money!

By coming on our programs, you will find work fast and get the support you need to settle in easily and on a tight budget. We will help you find ways to cut costs and start bringing home a pay cheque sooner than if you were to go on your own, or with any other work and travel company. You will come out ahead financially if you spend a little now to set yourself up right for your trip. When you land, you will be spending Canadian Dollars until you start earning Great British Pounds. Trust us, the Canadian Dollar does not hold a chance to the Great British Pound and will not go far in the UK. If you opt for our programs, you will start earning money as soon as you arrive! 


You have two years to explore the four countries that make up the UK – England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. With so much to see and do, why not start with a job in hand to help fund your future travels?

Jobs Available

* Please note that you may nominate a position of choice, but pub managers will make their selection of staff and will assign positions based on previous experience. Many pubs also hire for a "General FOH role", meaning your position may involve varied tasks (serving, bar-tending, kitchen work, etc...)

If you have culinary education or 1+ years experience in a back-of-house role,you may be able to work as a KP, Cook or Chef.

  • Kitchen Porter
  • Prep Cook/ Line Cook
  • Sous Chef
  • Chef


With more than 600 pubs and employers on our books, we have employment opportunities all over the UK. In order to make your placement arrangements as smooth as possible, it is best to remain completely flexible on the location of your UK job placement. We will always take your location preferences into consideration, but specific placement locations cannot be guaranteed.

(London & the Home Counties - Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Essex, Heredfordshire, Kent, Sussex-, Oxford and surrounding area, The Lakes District, England's South Coast, Rural UK placements, North England - less common, Scotland & Wales - less common)

Program Start Date

Please register a minimum of 12 weeks in advance of your program start date.

Program Availability

The program is offered year round, however, some months are better than other for arrival, due to seasonal pub trade. Depending on your program start date, the minimum program duration differs. Your maximum program duration is two years.

Minimum Program Durations 

Four to six months


Our recommended program duration is always 6 months or more. We feel this length of time will provide you to get the best experience from your placement and allow you to save money for your travels. Pubs prefer you to stay longer, if possible. All placements are full-time, permanent positions, allowing you to stay as long as you'd like (within the limits of your UK visa)

What is a ‘General FOH Role’?

In the UK, most pub & hospitality employers hire general front of house staff, and do not always assign you to specific role or position at the pub. This means that most positions will involve a little bit of everything – from greeting and seating customers, to serving tables, to food delivery, bartending, general cleaning duties, and sometimes even assistance in the kitchen.

Some employers are also Inns/Hotels – and as such, these positions may involve reception & housekeeping work.

All positions offered will include training provided by pub management/supervisors.


What can I expect from a BOH Role?

Most UK pubs split their kitchen staff into two roles – kitchen porters or chefs/cooks.

If you have some BOH experience, but are not a trained/experience chef, you may be able to work in a KP role. This will usually involved general clean up duties, food preparation, dish/pot washing, and other various tasks as instructed by the chef/cooking staff.

 If you are trained and qualified chef, we can work to secure your role in a kitchen, dependent on your level of experience and training. Most chef/cooking roles will require you to start in a ‘trial’ position for 2-6 weeks, where your experience and skills will be assessed by your head chef – upon completion of your trial period, your role will then be assigned.

To be eligible for the program:

  • You must be a Canadian citizen and resident with a valid CANADIAN PASSPORT (valid for at a minimum the duration of your visa - in this case 2 years)
  • You must be between the ages of 18 and 30 (and must not turn 31 before work permit is issued)
  • You must have a clear Police Record, or no serious traffic offences
  • Must be fluent in oral and written of English
  • Before departure from Canada, you will need to obtain a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme (UK Working Holiday Visa) - Visa cost: £225GBP + Health Surcharge (we will give you instructions of how to apply if you do not have one already) and obtain it before departure from Canada (unless you hold an EU/UK passport already)
  • You must have Medical Insurance for the entire duration that you are in the UK – it is mandatory 
  • You must be available for 4 to 6 months

To be eligible for the working holiday visa:

  • You must be a Canadian Citizen, holding a valid Canadian passport
  • You must be between 18 and 30 years of age
  • You must be able to prove with a bank statement that you have access to approx. $3500 CAD (£1,890 GBP) in available funds so that you can "make-do" while you are traveling and working
  • Have never previously entered the United Kingdom on a YMS or Working Holiday Visa
  • You must no criminal record, or serious traffic offences on your record
  • You do not have any dependent children
  • You must pay for £200 GBP per year UK Health surcharge when applying for the YMS visa. This surcharge will pay for your access to NHS healthcare while you are living in the UK. The surcharge must be paid in full for the full duration of your visa at the time of application completion and submission (£400 for 2 years) 
  • You must attend a "Biometrics Enrollment Appointment". In Canada, you can do this year-round in Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto or Ottawa. There are also a limited number of appointments each year available in Halifax and St. Johns. If you do not live local to one of the offices listed above, please note that you will be required to travel for your appointment.

  • UK Platinum Pub Program

    What's Included – The Details:

    Instructions on how to apply for the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Working Holiday Visa
    We will provide you with an instruction sheet that will guide you through this confusing process
    The flexibility to book your flight/insurance with any provider you please
    We do not make it mandatory for you to use our flight or insurance provider, but are happy to recommend ours if interested
    • You will be placed into a pub. Your job placement depends on your previous work experience, attitude and work ethic. If you would like to be a cook or a chef, you must have previous kitchen work experience.

    • Your placement will be monitored to make sure that you are safe and are being treated fairly

    • Our UK partner will assist you in obtaining your National Insurance (NI) number
    • Full-time permanent positions
    Travel details and assistance to reach placement destination.
    Your program includes a one-night hostel stay on arrival in London. 
    On day 2, you will travel by land to your UK pub location/placement. 

    To note - though we provide a detailed itinerary of how to reach a destination, you will still need to make your own arrangements on how you reach your employer. 
    Live-in accommodation (room & board) for the duration of your work period
    Accommodations are generally a shared living space with other staff of the hotel/resort. The closest comparison would be living in a dorm at university where you may have a shared kitchen, shared laundry, shared living space and a possible roommate. Depending on the company that you are placed with, your room & board may be free of charge, or at the very least – will be subsidized. For subsidized room & board, the average cost is between £30 to £65 per week. In general, your meals will likely be included only when you are working, but this is all dependant on the location that you are placed in.
    Welcome Pack of Information
    Before your departure from Canada, you will receive a pre-departure information package including essential information about living and working in the UK
    Assistance from our partnered organization in the UK if you run into any problems while in the UK
    Advice from our partnered organization in the UK in resolving day-to-day problems
    Advice from our partnered organization in the UK on opening a bank account 
    Assistance from our partnered organization in the UK in obtaining your National Insurance Number (NI)

    In order to work in the UK, you will need to apply for an NI number soon after you arrive. You will need to give your NI number to your employer's accounts department for tax purposes.

    If you don't have a NI number, you will be required to pay more than normal tax amount. As well, without a NI number you will not be able to claim any of your overpaid taxes back or a tax refund. Make sure you get it!

    The prehistoric monument of Stonehenge in Wiltshire

    One of the most famous sites in the world, Stonehenge is an architectural wonder of Britain and covers 2600 hectares and 400 scheduled monuments. This is a must for anyone interested in history or archaeology.

    Tower of London

    One of London's most famous landmarks, the historic Tower houses the Crown Jewels, the prison cell of Sir Walter Raleigh, known as the Bloody Tower, and the Chapel of St. John and the Royal Armories.

    Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre in London

    Shakespeare's Globe is a unique international resource dedicated to the exploration of Shakespeare's work and the playhouse for which he wrote, through the connected means of performance and education. For literary buffs, this is an excellent opportunity to Shakespeare plays at a very reasonable price.

    Buckingham Palace in London

    This famous building is the London home and primary residence of the queen. Be sure to check out the changing of the guard which takes place daily at 11.30am and lasts approximately 45 minutes.

    Edinburgh Castle

    A fortress which dominates the skyline of the city of Edinburgh, Scotland. With over a million visitors a year, people flock to this attraction wanting to learn about the history of Scotland and look in awe at the beautiful scenery.


    Work & Travel UK – Platinum Pub Program


    Program fees $1099 CAD + 5% GST (includes $100 non refundable booking fees) 
    You must apply for the program at least 12 weeks prior to your preferred Program Start Date. If you do not have your visa, please keep in mind that it may take more than a month to get your Working Holiday Visa. We will give you a UK Working Holiday Visa application instruction sheet.

    There are positions available at all times of the year and once booked we will inform you of the best time to arrive to the employer.

    Please make sure you do fulfill the eligibility requirements for both the visa and the program before applying.

    For more information please contact

    Important Note: